Friday, May 18, 2007

I’m not Indian!!!

I think people in Australia struggle to understand that. For them, if you have olive (black) skin and dark hair, you’re Indian. I reckon people here need to travel overseas, and see a bit more of the World out there…

Me, Indian??? I promise I have no problems with Indian people. In fact, most of my dearest friends in Australian are Indian. I can’t wait to visit their country, learn about their culture, eat their food and everything. But I’m not Indian!!! How hard is it to see???? Brazilian people have that thing about them that you can see from miles… the tight jeans (you can’t even fart in them), the huge earrings, a bit (read a lot) of skin showing, the ‘ginga’, meaning the way you move, walk, dance etc. I reckon I have all that, but people here don’t get it. They insist on calling me Indian.

Even the Indians themselves bloody get me confused. Every 7 Eleven I enter in Brisbane, there is an Indian attendant that soon or later will flirt with me thinking I’m Indian. They come like “So, where are you from?”, or when I’m buying phone cards to call Brazil “What country are you calling to with this card?”, or straight to the point: “Are you Indian?”. For fuck sake: I’M NOT INDIAN!!!!

Now, you think I’m being a drama queen and I hate Indians more than anyone else in this whole World. I promise I have no problems whatsoever with Indians. As mentioned before, I have heaps and heaps of Indian friends. But what upsets me the most is not the fact that people get me confused with Indians, but the fact that people don’t get that I’m Brazilian. I’m a proud Brazilian, and one of the things I love the most about my culture is the Brazilian energy, the identity, is the “I can see Brazilian from miles away”... If people think I’m Indian, it means that I don’t have that Brazilian energy. And that’s what upsets me. People could get me confused with anyone other nation and I’d still feel the same way… it’s all about me not looking Brazilian, something that I’m so proud of.

I thought I might share here photos of beautiful Indian women, and there are sooo many out there, just to prove that there are no hard feelings. Enjoy it!!!!







2 comments:

Bettina said...

I was actually wondering if you were Indian, but thanks for clarifying that here. Hahaha...

Those Indian women are beautiful, but you are even hotter than that! And I definitely think you've got the Brazilian energy- the whole fiery thing and everything. Quite clearly.

quidam said...

haha...i just had to comment... :P well it cant be 'that' bad...i mean if someone called me brazilian i would take it as a compliment....haha...and to be honest...i did think too...hehe...keep blogging...and new update on moi... :)