Monday, April 02, 2007

GET UP!!!!

It’s 7.20am and I’m getting the lift down to go to work. I walk up to the bus stop standing 50m away from me. I wait for another 5 minutes before the bus pulls over and collect a few of us passengers. Together with me, there is a guy who everyday is reading his book (I still don’t know which one that is), carrying his laptop bag on one shoulder, wearing his totally-out-of-fashion John Lennon’s sunnies, a pair of brown snickers, with grey socks and cargo shorts. The top is always short-sleeves checked shirt and the haircut is the same as the one my granddad had when he married my grandmother late 40s.

The short lady is there as well. She’s there everyday with us waiting for the bus. It’s always the three of us waiting. Sometimes we have other visitors… back to the lady. She looks very South American to me. Not really Brazilian, but she has a Venezuelan, Peruvian appearance to her. She wears the black skirt and jacket, with a black top inside – the “I’m going to a funeral” look. I wonder how she manages the Queensland heat under this outfit. She always has shit loads of make up on, a very big pair of sunglasses and very long (read ugly) fake nails. She always wears this open-back black shoes and a gold anklet. Bad, bad taste!!!

We get in the bus and that’s how my radar gets even more critical. I admit with no fear I’m a people’s watcher. I watch and observe every step, fashion sense (or non-sense) and behaviour. My favourite topic? EVERYTHING that involves people. And one thing has been in the back of my mind during my trips back and forth work. When should you stand up to give others your seat??? My mum always told me as a child to stand up for older people. Being a child, I almost didn’t have a seat, as pretty much every one taking public transport was older than me. Mum used to sit me and her lap so others could sit down.

I honestly don’t know if this was right or wrong by her, but I can’t help to agree with her, and I think the same way nowadays. I think that if you have a young child, you should make them stand up to let an adult sit down. Kids are full of energy and they don’t really do much, let’s face it. So they should either stand or maybe sit down on your lap. And I promise that it has nothing to do with them paying a cheaper fair than adults.

Also, I have to say it; adults should get up for elderly people. That’s how the cycle works. You get up for the one older than you. It drives me NUTS how everyday there is at least an older person standing in the bus while the pretty looking latest fashion queen and the bloody classy walking suit with Gucci sunnies (because that’s all they’re; an expensive look with nothing in the head!!) sit down looking pretty. Now you may ask, why don you get up??? Well, well my friend, I do every single time, when I can. But sometimes I’m right in the end of the bus and the older person is right at the front… I can’t yell out “oh, you!! Do ya wanna sit??”, can I??? But the princess and the walking suit are right there in front of the standing elderly, sitting right below the “RESERVED SEAT FOR ELDERLY PEOPLE” bloody sign, they can.

I’m sorry, but I don’t get it. Where is the respect?? Isn’t that enough that older people are already discriminated in the workplace, or neglected by their families, or struggle as it is with people trying to rip them off, they are physically disadvantages, and people still want them to stand up on the bloody bus?!?!??!?!? That, my friend, I don’t get!!!

The other day the bus was soooo packed and I spotted this guy – he wasn’t that old but just old enough to be offered a seat. He was very far from me so I couldn’t offer him the seat. And no one offered it either. As the bus was getting fuller, he kept walking towards the end of the bus and I was hoping he’d get closer to me. When he finally did, I offered him the seat and he was so appreciative of my gesture. He thanked me when I stood up, and again before I got off the bus. I was happy for that fella for having someone to offer him a bloody seat.

So think next time when you’re in a public transport, if maybe you should get up for someone who needs that seat more than you do.

5 comments:

Bettina said...

I couldn't agree more with you on this! I always get up and offer my seat to elderly or disabled people and it annoys me to see some people being so inconsiderate.

I've got a big soft spot for older people (and I know you do too) and it breaks my heart when I see them having lunch all alone in a cafe or trying to carry their heavy shopping bags to the bus stop with nobody helping them.

I saw this old man in a wheelchair at the shopping centre the other day trying to call a taxi on the public phone and looking all lost and helpless with his little shopping bag on his knees and it made me feel like crying that he had nobody to look after him.

quidam said...

I completely agree...always make way for the person older than you...but there was this one incident which makes me contemplate whether i should actually even make the gesture....i offered my seat to a lady on the loop bus and she was offended coz she thought i was referring to her as 'old'...well good things are rarely appreciated...anyways good post..take care..keep in touch... :)

Paulinha said...

Poor quidam,
That's a tricky one, isn't it??? Worse than people not getting up to offer seats is people who aren't appreciative of your gesture...
How do we ever know??? Thanks for the visit!!!

B, thanks for the visit too!!!
I always feel like crying as well when I see old people struggling to do things. Hate it!!

Lélly Abranches said...

Little gestures of respect such as giving your seat to other people shouldn't be forgotten in your childhood. Respect is something that most people lack of. The 'bloody classy walking suit wearing Gucci sunnies' (which by the way I didn't feel threatened because I don't wear suit, but I love my Gucci sunnies...hehehe) and the princess have no respect for older people, it's al about their own belly button and it might come back nd bite their asses when they grow old!

Anonymous said...

Louis Vuitton sacs [url=http://www.louisvuittoncuir.fr]Louis Vuitton sac[/url] lhrspo sac Louis Vuitton pas cher [url=http://www.vuittonsacspeedy.fr]sac Louis Vuitton[/url] nhdoxu