Thursday, January 04, 2007

I’m no longer a virgin!

Oh my God!!! I can’t even believe that I finally went through this experience. I’ve been waiting for this for soooo many years… but last week, after I came back from Melbourne, I did it at last!!! I went camping in Woodford for a week during the Folk Festival!!! That’s right, I had never been camping before. Yeah, duh!!!! I was talking about being a camping virgin, what did you think???

Let’s leave the dirty talk aside and let me tell you about my MARVELOUS experience. Although many may have doubted that I would survive a camping experience (of course I’d survive. I’ve been trough worse shit!), I not only survived, but I had a ball!!!

Firstly I have to say that the Woodford Folk Festival has just this energy about it. It has an amazing vibe, and you really can’t feel any negativity or anger in the air. There were heaps of families participating in the Festival. The contrast in the people in that place was very interesting to watch. I saw people from different background, age, fashion styles, different everything. Although Woodford felt like a very hippie festival (and it is!!), I could tell that we were all welcomed (I am definitely NOT a hippie!!).

The Festival is set up in a way making it looking like a small town. You’ll find little restaurant, bars, a bank (it costs a bit to take money out, but it’s still helpful), stores and all sorts of things. I think I could live there! I loved it that much that I definitely could live there (please keep in mind that I’m NOT a hippie!!).

The performances were just sensational!! There were dance and arts workshops, comedy, dance performance and music, heaps of music!!!! We had from blues to batucada (drums!) and from Indian Classic music to Aboriginal style. Everything was so fantastic!! The highlight of the Festival for me was Xavier Rudd. He’s a one-man band. The guy rocked!!! He played at least three instruments at the time. He’s really talented.

I couldn’t forget the Umbilical Brother either. That’s a comedy ‘group’ (consisting of two men) that makes everyone wet themselves. They don’t talk much. Instead, they perform and make sounds with the microphone to suit their movements. Does it make any sense??? For example, if they walk, they make the sound of the shoes hitting the ground. It’s bloody hilarious!!! Not the shoes hitting the ground but the whole performance. Whatever, I’m sure you get it!!!

The other highlight of the Festival was the camping itself. It was my first time and I really enjoyed it. It gave me the feeling of freedom, non-responsibility, and stress free, you know?? I even enjoyed the cold water (there was no hot shower). It kind of didn’t bother me.

In the New Year’s Eve, we all (a few thousand people) went to the main stage that was located in the bottom of a hill. The organisers of the Festival distributed candles earlier that night. Half an hour before midnight, we all started lighting the candles. Man, you could see the light slowly spreading through that hill. The place was a bit dark already, so it helped even more to provide the perfect and beautiful mood. For three minutes we all sat there in silence (there are always those idiots who feel the necessity to scream. Fuck’em!). Man, it gives me goose bumps just remembering this moment!!!

Well, that was my New Year’s celebration. It was amazing and that’s how I hope my year will be. Not only mine but yours as well. And how was your party??? Did you lose your virginity???

Happy New Year everyone!!!!

2 comments:

LiberdadeViaDividendos said...

rs, and I love to get those reviews!!!

Happy 07!!

bjos

Bettina said...

What an amazing week that was! Thank you so much for sharing it with me- I will never forget this time!